Whether you are a first time visitor to New York or a foreigner here on a more permanent basis, New York City travel guide, Heather Cross has some great safety tips that you can follow.
- Avoid drawing attention to yourself as a tourist: don’t stand on street corners looking at maps and do your best to walk confidently, as this will deter many criminals.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- In crowded subways, keep your wallet in your front pocket, rather than the rear, and keep your purse closed and held in front of you or on the side.
- Don’t flaunt jewelry, cameras or cash in public. If you need to organize your wallet, duck into a store.
- Use caution when using ATMs and don’t carry too much cash around with you — most places accept credit cards and there are ATMs everywhere.
- After dark, stick to main streets if you don’t know where you are going.
- If you feel uncomfortable or lost, approach a police officer or a friendly store owner to get your bearings or directions.
- When in doubt of your destination or the safety of a neighborhood, take a cab, especially late at night.
- Many business districts are desolate at night — keep this in mind when deciding whether to walk or take a cab.
- If taking the subway late at night, stand near the “During off hours trains stop here” sign or in view of the Metro-Card booth. Ride in cars with more people and preferably in the conductor’s car (you will see him look out the window of the train when it stops).
- Call 911 (24 hours a day/7 days a week) when all else fails and you need emergency help. Otherwise call 311 for general information.
Michael Gunzburg, P.C. welcomes tourists and foreigners to our great City with open arms. Our law firm is made up of people with diverse backgrounds and we speak several languages.
Michael Gunzburg is a New York City Tourist Accident Lawyer servicing the New York metropolitan area includingManhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland, and Orange County.
For a free initial phone consultation, call us today at 212-725-8500.
Have you or someone you know been injured while visiting New York City? If so, contact a New York City Tourist Accident Lawyer at Michael Gunzburg, P.C. today!